Thursday 5 April 2018

Chillcon 2018

I enjoy wargames shows, both small and large. My local show, Triples, was one of the greatest highlights of my year - from its early days in the Victoria Hotel, through a small excursion to Cutler's Hall, then its heyday in the Octagon at Sheffield University and finally its dying days at the English Institute of Sport. All had something to offer, though all had their drawbacks, too.

The death of that show in 2016 saddened me greatly, as well as removing my best annual opportunity to buy new figures (and to clear some of the old at the Bring and Buy). So I had great hopes for Chillcon, a new Sheffield show first run last May (2017) with its second show this year last weekend. To be honest, I was disappointed last year, probably because I was measuring it against Triples, hoping, I suppose, for a continuation of the tradition under a different name and, not surprisingly, Chillcon is a different beast entirely.

It's smaller, for a start. But that's not necessarily a bad thing, especially as it can promote a more intimate and friendly environment which this year seemed to be the case. Being relatively small also means that most people can get round all of it in a couple of hours, rather than being overwhelmed by it, and it probably also means that every trader gets a decent look in. I thought the atmosphere this year was great - lots seemed to be going on, and everyone was enjoying it. Whilst there weren't many of the "big" traders there, and almost no manufacturers of historical figures, there was still plenty to look at. 

As I'm essentially a historical gamer, and mainly into 28mm mass battles, a show which has little historical, with a focus on fantasy and sci-fi skirmish doesn't offer me too much. I can see the attractions, of course, and it's less than ten years since I was heavily into Warhammer and Warmaster (still one of my favourite games, though I've not played for quite a while). But what I really enjoy at shows are the vast display battles put on by clubs which no individual is likely to be able to manage for themselves. Triples was great for this. These days, however, the closest to historical games at shows seems to be WW2, usually Bolt Action of Flames of War, both of which owe their gaming heritage more to Games Workshop systems than to historical simulation.

Don't get me wrong - I do enjoy such games. And if they get people playing, and introduce new people to the hobby, then they're undoubtedly a good thing, and should be promoted. Moreover, if a wargames show is there to promote the hobby, and give newcomers a flavour of what it can be, to have fun, and realise that the emphasis is on gaming, not dry as dust history or morbid fascination with death and destruction, it must surely be a good thing. Arguably, an emphasis on fantasy whether set in a mythic world or an imagined future, is probably better psychologically than any dwelling upon the horrors of real warfare, for the core of wargaming is story-telling, and if the stories become too realistic, most people would (rightly, I guess) shy away. Wargaming is an escape from the horrors of the real world, not a celebration of the worst people can do to each other.

So I think Chillcon is a successful venture. Certainly an enjoyable one. Its organisation could perhaps be improved - for example, using the phrase 'Bring and Buy' to mean 'Tabletop Sale' is certainly confusing, especially when the messages that come out about it are ambiguous - some punters arrived at the show with things to sell at a traditional B&B event, only to find they were supposed to pre-book a table to sell things themselves. And the fact that there's a sporadically updated website whilst most of the up to date info goes on the Facebook page, and they say different things, doesn't help. As always with such things, one person should be responsible for overseeing all communications to ensure that the message that goes out is a coherent and consistent one. 

But these are niggles. It's great to have a Sheffield show still. It's great that it's a lively and fun event. I wish there was more of the traditional wargame in it, and I wish it was larger, but as it is, it seems to me a very worthwhile activity. I understand the organisers are running a new show in Derby, too, which is more good news, as the show which was originally held in the centre of Derby has now turned into an awkward event miles from Derby (in fact, miles from anywhere) and too far away for me to get to. I expect the Derby Chillcon will be similar to the Sheffield one - but I look forward to it, and will probably have more to say about it when more is known. 


No comments:

Post a Comment