Friday 21 December 2018

And so it begins


Painting Challenge IX is underway.

I’ve now prepared about half the figures I think I may attempt during the forthcoming three months. Undoubtedly I’ll change my mind as I progress, but at least I have my starting points.

I’ve just noticed that the Lardies are sponsoring a “What a Tanker!” challenge, so that’s immediately adding a new consideration: have I a tank I’d like to paint up in the next three months? Well, I do have a Panther to make up – but it has no instructions, so it’ll probably be badly assembled. Then I’ve a Humber scout car, but that’s unlikely to qualify as a “tank”. I’ll have to search around in the jungle of unfinished projects and see what might be found.

I think I’ll begin with the Sudanese for the Egyptian army, as these have been waiting for years, and should give me what my boss used to call a “quick win”. Meanwhile, there are over 500 15mm Austrians waiting quietly in the wings. And, as it was recently my birthday, I’m now two boxes of Gripping Beast Romans, plus some Praetorians, that weren’t in the pile three days ago.

I’m also using the Challenge as an excuse to buy a new camera. Not much of a photographer, I need a simple device, but it has to give me the best chance of decent photos of all the beautiful miniatures I’ll hopefully be creating.

So, no time for posting - got to undercoat Austrians, sort out Sudanese, assemble Romans, find a tank, visit the camera shop. Fortunately, it's not one of those busy times of year, is it?

No comments:

Post a Comment