Thursday 13 December 2018

Analogue Painting Challenge


Last year I had an enormous amount of fun on the Analogue Hobbies Painting Challenge. I'd begun with only a moderate points target, but found the desire to paint more and more figures, and zoom up the table of painters, gradually consumed me, till it was the only thing I paid attention to in pretty much all my spare time, between December 20th and the end of March.

This year I resolved to be more organised, working to a higher target, but with something like a plan and perhaps a bit more discipline. But, wouldn't you know it, my very first action almost scuppered me, as I misunderstood the arrangements for joining, and only crept into the Challenge through the kindness and courtesy of our glorious leader in this absurd project, Curt.

So I'm now on the Roster as NoelW with a target of 2500 points (that translates into "500 28mm figures in three months). But I want to exceed that target by some way, as last year I hit 4880 points, and I'd dearly love to make the 5000 point mark. I also know that the only way I'll succeed is by having lots of projects on the go at the same time. I get bored with any given project too easily, so need several things on the go, each being both a relief and a distraction from the other.

So my plan is to have as many figures prepped, ideally, well over target, in as many periods and theatres as I can get organised by start date (Dec 21st). So far, not even 100 figs ready to go. But on the stocks as potential, if I can get them sorted, are, in 28mm:
120 Imperial Romans
48 Caesarean Romans
120 Celts
50 Zulus
60 War of the Roses, foot and mounted
100 HYW, foot and a few mounted
Of smaller figures: 500 Austrian Naps 15mm, 100 French SYW 15mm and 6 British MTBs (1/300 from Warlord's new Cruel Seas).
And in terrain, I've Sarissa's Hougoumont which my wife wonderfully has put together for me, but has been sitting there waiting for paint for months.
As a rough estimate, if I managed all this (!) that'd be around 3200 points, so greater than target, but not close to ideal.

However, you can guarantee that by December 26th, following both birthday and Christmas, there'll be more new figures to take care of. Of course, I'll have to fit the prepping of them in. Somehow three months doesn't seem enough...

My main problem, and one I found a bit time consuming last year, is photographing the figures. I'm not much of a photographer, and I don't have a decent camera, so getting decent shots of many of the figures took time, and most of the results didn't please me. I'm hoping that maybe Santa will take pity on me.

Good luck to everyone taking part.


No comments:

Post a Comment